Friday 26 June 2009

Nicknames

Hello. My name is R.T.. Many people ask me about my name. R.T. did stand for Roger Todd. I went to court and legally changed my name to R.T. The name on my passport and my driver's license is now R.T.. Please call me R.T..

But, do you have a nickname? When I was growing up, many people called me Rowdy. Rowdy was my character. If you don't know what the word "rowdy" means, please look it up in a dictionary. One of my teachers in elementary school called me that a couple times as a joke. Then, some of my friends started calling me Rowdy.

There are 50 states in the US. Did you know that every state in the US has a nickname? It's true. We were talking about this last week in one of my classes at E-style.

There are a couple of famous examples that you may know about.

Have you ever heard of the Empire State Building in New York City?

Well, New York's nickname is "The Empire State." So, the Empire State Building is named after The Empire State.

What about the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California?

If you look at this photo carefully, you will notice that the bridge is not gold. It has never been gold. California's nickname is the "Golden State." The Golden Gate Bridge stands at the entrance to San Francisco Bay. The bridge is at the mouth of the bay, next to the Pacific Ocean. As you come out of the Pacific Ocean by ship, you must sail under The Golden Gate Bridge to enter the Bay Area of San Francisco. So, The Golden Gate Bridge is like the gateway to California State.

America declared itself an independent country on July 4, 1776. The country will be 233 years old next week. Since that time, some states have had a few different nicknames. This site lists the "official" state nickname in bold letters, some "old" state nicknames, and some "unofficial" state nicknames. It is very interesting. I hope you like it.

>>>>Click here<<<<

No comments:

Post a Comment