Monday 16 September 2013

Me too = 私も = I do too = 私も = So do I


Hi everyone,

Recently (最近) in my elementary-level classes, we have been studying how to say 「私も」 in English. Most students can use the phrase "Me too," but many don't know that there are other ways to say this in English. For example:

(A) I like English.
(B) Me too. / I do too. / So do I.

In this case, A's comment is affirmative (肯定的) and B has the same opinion as A (BはAと同じ意見です). Since A's sentence uses the verb "like," the responses "I do too" and "So do I" are fine. However, if the verb is in the past tense (過去形), then the responses "I do too" and "So do I" must be in the past tense also. For example:

(A) I liked English in junior high school.
(B) Me too. / I did too. / So did I.

Sometimes the verb in B's response must be changed to match the verb in A's sentence. One common example is when "can" is used:

(A) I can speak English.
(B) Me too. / I can too. / So can I.

Please notice (気付いて下さい) that in all of the examples, "Me too" can be used. Maybe that explains why it's so popular with students!

See you at E-Style,

Alan




No comments:

Post a Comment